Monday, November 12, 2007


I live on Maui, an island that is filled with atmospheric skies and views. I have always been drawn to the can fields. the light seems to dance across them and the clouds rise up over them either like veils of mist or like angry tempests. Dawn can be especially magical as the light begins to peep over the crest of the mountain. I decide to try to capture this fleeting moment. But instead, of looking at it as a literal view, I work the piece from the inside out. I work with what the dawn feels like. What the air smells like. I try to put down the fragile quality of the light at this time of day. I work the paint in layers once again and abandon brushes at one point and use just soft rags to move the paint into one layer after another. I burnish the semi-dry layers into the dry ones below to give a translucent sheen. Gradually the luminosity that I am after comes out. I call this piece, "A Patch of Blue."

No comments: